Unaccompanied minors

If you would like to make use of this service, you should adhere to the following recommendations:

  • Contact your airline to consult the requirements and additional cost for this service.
  • Book the service more than 24 hours in advance. You can also request a children's menu.
  • Arrive at the airport with enough time to complete the necessary procedure.
  • Provide the child with the contact telephone numbers of the person responsible for picking them up in the destination airport.
  • Stay in the departure airport until the flight has taken off.


Travel by or with children is subject to specific restrictions. Border police, both inside and outside the European Union, have a specific mandate to pay special attention to children, whether accompanied or not.

In the case of children travelling alone, border guards are authorised to carry out a thorough check of travel documents and supporting documents in order to ensure that children do not leave the country against the will of the persons exercising parental authority.

Unaccompanied minors travelling outside Spain must bring the following documentation:

  • Regular documentation (passport or ID card). Foreign minors in Spain must carry their passport of their own country or a current valid travel document to leave the national territory.
  • Spanish children under 18 travelling abroad not accompanied by their parents or legal guardian, must carry, besides the current valid ID card or passport, an authorisation for travel of minors abroad. In the case of foreign minors living in Spain, their legal guardian must contact their consulate to complete the documentation in accordance with the regulations of their country.
  • Documentation that proves the parentage and parental rights according to the case and the country of destination.

The authorisation type and the circumstances in which it is required are highly variable depending on the destination country, its legislation and local habits. If in doubt, it is advisable to consult the Embassy or Consulate of the destination country.

The atuthorization is mandatory from 1 Septiembre 2019. You can download the form in these links:

Civil Guard: Authorization for travel of minors abroad.

National Police: Authorization for travel of minors abroad .

You can find more information on the Ministry for Home Affairs website and on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in each Embassy or Consulate.

The documentation unaccompanied minors need to enter into Spain vary depending on the country of origin. Given that the requirements may vary, it is advisable to contact the appropriate Consulate or Embassy to verify which is the necessary documentation before you start the travel.

Company service

The service provides assistance and care for children from the time they check-in until they are picked up from the destination airport, and includes assistance in the case of flight transfers.

  • From the moment that the child receives their boarding pass, the airline becomes legally responsible for them.
  • The child will be given a bag which they should carry with them containing their airline ticket, identification document, parental authorisation and an identification sheet with contact details of the person responsible for picking them up in the destination airport.
  • Upon arrival, as a general rule, children will be accompanied out of the plane last by the staff from the company.
  • After collecting their baggage, the child is handed over to the person responsible, after the identity of this person is checked..