Relevant figures

Spain has the third largest volume of air traffic in Europe.

Significant magnitudes of Aena airports

Spain’s 46 airports and 2 heliports within the Aena network in 2019 recorded 275.2 million passengers, representing a 4.4% increase compared to the previous year. Of those passengers, 188.8 million flew internationally, a historical record, with a 3.5% increase on 2018. Passengers on domestic flights amounted to over 85.5 million, a 6.4% increase on the previous year.

The volume of aircraft operations was greater than 2.3 million, a 2.6% increase on 2018 and cargo traffic amounted to over 1,068,394 tonnes, a 5.6% increase compared to the previous year.

Traffic 2018 2018 Shift (%)
Passengers 263,754,357 275,237,801 4.4
Operations 2,300,307 2,360,957 2.6
Cargo 1,012,063,745 1,068,394,637 5.6

Fuente: Aena SME, SA

Spain has the third largest volume of air traffic in Europe, after the UK and Germany1. It totals 11% of Europe's passenger traffic and 10% of its aircraft operations2.

The Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport ranks 5th in the EU in terms of passengers, while Josep Tarradellas Barcelona airport ranks 6th in passenger traffic.

Rank Airport Millions of passengers
1 London-Heathrow 80.1
2 Paris-Charles de Gaulle 72.2
3 Amsterdam-Schiphol 71.1
4 Frankfurt 69.5
5 Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas 57.9
6 Josep Tarradellas Barcelona-El Prat 50,2
7 Munich 46.2
8 London-Gatwick 46.1
9 Rome-Fiumicino 43.0
10 Paris-Orly 33.1
Source: Data provided by the companies

A further five Spanish airports registered traffic of over 10 million passengers in 2018: Palma de Mallorca, with over 29 million; Málaga-Costa del Sol, with 19 million; Alicante-Elche, with almost 14 million; Gran Canaria, with over 13.5 million; and Tenerife Sur with over 11 million.


69.2% of commercial traffic in all airports in the Aena network is international, and the remaining 30.8% is national. The main source countries of air travel passengers to Spain are the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, France, the Nordic countries, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, the United States, Ireland and Russia3.

Share of the major air hubs

Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas and Josep Tarradellas Barcelona-El Prat airports make up 41% of passengers, 32.4% of operations and 68.4% of cargo. Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas contributes 21.9% of total passengers, 17.8% of the aircraft and 51.3% of the cargo, while Josep Tarradellas Barcelona-El-Prat has a market share of 19% of passengers, 14.6% of operations and 17.1% of cargo.

1 Source: Eurostat.
2 Source: 2018 ACI Europe.
3 Source: INE. Tourist Movement on Borders.